Monday, June 27, 2005

A true paradox

Today I found a post by Jessica Helfand that had resulted in many comments on the Design Observer blog.

The posts debated with gusto the question of design students creating personal works as opposed to educators providing design briefs with tight content to emulate and instill the values of corporate clients. It is a interesting and insightful read...One post right at the the long list of entries really got my attention and I quote it here...

Sometimes it's really hard to stomach what I read on this site. All the 'designers' here seem so caught up in what they do that they can't even realize that the entire profession revolves around superficiality. Designers cater to the needs of making crap look good. Information designers just need to organize data so it's properly communicative. Other than that, it's just a bunch of snobby hipsters trying to make themselves sound important by rehashing old ideas becaus they can't think of anything new for themselves.

Maybe all you need is a real purpose, I don't know, but most of this banter is disgusting. I never used to comment on the stuff I read on this website for fear someone would visit my website and realize I was just a 'student'; well, guess what, students generally have better ideas than professionals because we don't have to cater to the same rules established designers do.

It's quite disturbing to watch the idealists crumble before the mighty hand of capitalism and 'necessity', when really design itself is unnecessary. Good design is not communication, it's convienence (in a modern setting). It's making the user be able to discern information in less time so they can have more time to spend money and watch television. We design a rushed world, we design a shallow and trend filled society that needs seasonal upgrades to their closets, cars, and computers. It's our fault and you not only endorse this but even embrace it.

And I can see it now; everyone reading this and thinking how naive I must be. Sure, I probably am, but at least I'm not wasting my time trying to figure out how to make people adopt to more of a conformist attitude.

Posted by: Colin Smith at June 3, 2005 06:12 PM

Colin's point was not lost on me. It forcefully puts forth a view that this particular debate may be missing the point of what is really important for designers, educators and students in the contemporary context.

I like Colin's spirit and wish I saw it more in my own students.

But really what is important for us at present?

No comments: