Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Organisational Dinosaurs?

Check the link above...it is heartening for me at present to read this, given the recent posting I have been making regarding the moribund bureacracies and their resistance to change.

One can be forgiven for a feeling of isolation and alienation in the face of the brutal logic of the "system". far more satisfying is the experience of the interactivity of the wiki, the blog, the web board. This is especially so I find when like minded individuals can gather to discuss topics of relevance to their creative interests.

"Digital technology is providing people with the tools to produce and share content like never before, and it is set to throw the relationship between them and institutions into turmoil, say experts... "I am predicting 50 years of chaos," says leading digital thinker Clay Shirky. "Loosely organised groups will be increasingly given leverage.

"Institutions will come under increasing degrees of pressures and the more rigid they are, the more pressures they will come under. "


Co-opting the creative revolution


In my current [primary] role I can already see the impact of rapid technological change on the structures of the organisation. People's interpretation of the change and the intended use of the digital interfaces and supporting structures, for example, are divergent. This misinterpretation or lag in terms of a organisationally global understanding and utilisation of the technology, causes great"consternation"[not my word] amongst those directly involved, responsible, and accountable in the implimentation of a system. It is an interesting if painful phenomena.

I cannot say I am happy about this - I simply observe that it appears from experiential evidence to be true. the effect is, as Shirky states, "chaotic".

No comments: